Monday, July 30, 2007

Tea break

At this time of year the sun rises from directly behind the white pine in the corner of our backyard. It is a large tree for a suburban yard, nearly 30 inches in diameter at the base. The trunk rises straight for about 25 feet and then changes direction back and forth slightly.

It is at those points that the sun casts puddles of light through the branches and needles onto the porch. That warmth of sunlight on my denim-clad knees is a pleasure, and when the sun hits the porch, Penny, my old English setter wanders out of the house and curls up at my feet to enjoy it.

This morning is particularly nice. Just before dawn it rained, but now the sky is clear and blue with an occasional cotton candy wisp of cloud. When the sun is masked by the trunk of the tree, it causes an interesting effect. A light breeze will rustle the long needles of the pine and a small rainstorm will occur as the tree sheds the rainwater. The drops would be nearly invisible from this distance at any other time, but from this vantage point they form bright lines in the shadow of the tree and against the backdrop of a palisade fence.

The perfect drink for watching this little light show is a black Chinese tea called Pu Ehr. The reason for this match is a combination of sight, smell, and taste. The drops of rain being shed and the smell of the soaked earth drying in the sunlight provide a sensory complement to the dark richness of the tea.

Pu-Ehr has a rich, dark, earthy taste which comes from being fermented, molded into blocks and then buried underground to mature. Its flavor makes me want to walk on freshly tilled soil in my bare feet.

Don't misunderstand. I am not a tea connoisseur, the tea I'm drinking cost me a couple of dollars at an Asian market. I'm just sitting here enjoying myself.

No comments: